Westwood Chalet at Mount RainierMountain goats on Mt. Rainier

The History of Westwood Chalet

From Homestead to Vacation Getaway...
The Westwood Chalet Family History on Mt. Rainier

In 1890, Edward and Clara Hall homesteaded the land on which Westwood Chalet is located, and built a log home that they named Eastwood Lodge. They raised four children, Stan, Margaret, Beatrice, and Marybelle, and endowed them with a love of the mountains that surrounded them. Summer excursions were made by foot and horseback to summer camps at Lake George and Indian Henry's Hunting Ground. In 1910, Edward Hall was appointed as the first full time Superintendent of the newly created Mount Rainier National Park. Later, the next Park Superintendent named three Park waterfalls after the Hall daughters: Margaret Falls, Trixie Falls, and Marybelle Falls. (Look for them on the wall map at Westwood Chalet!)

The offspring of the original Hall family grew up in and around Eastwood Lodge, scrambling on the rocks just outside the Park entrance, fishing in the area creeks and the Nisqually River, and hiking on the trails in and near the Park. Trixie Hall worked for many years as the telephone operator at Longmire.

The current owners of Westwood Chalet continue to honor the history of the first homesteaders near Mount Rainier and the mountain community of Ashford, Washington. We want you to have a memorable stay at Westwood Chalet, relaxing and exploring the high country around Mount Rainier.

Continue to our historical family photo album.